Three most common claims for side effects of medications

VA doctors have a habit of tossing lots of medications at us. Sometimes a VA pharmacist will get involved to talk about the side effects but they never talk about the secondary claims that we can file as a result of those side effects.

Your VA pharmacist works for the Veterans Health Administration which is your treating physician. The Veterans Benefits Administration is who handles your VA claim. A VA pharmacist is not going to help you prove your VA claim for medication side effects so you are most likely going to have to see a private doctor to get that handled for you.

The three most common claims I see for the side effects of medications is Erectile Dysfunction. GERD or IBS and headaches.

Most veterans are unaware that they may be entitled to compensation for these side effects. 38 CFR (b) provides that veterans can receive compensation for non-service connected illnesses and injuries that are “proximately the result of service connected disease or injury”. These are called secondary service connection claims, claims that did not develop in service but are related to a service connected condition. Secondary service connection claims include the side effects of medications, either over the counter or prescription that veterans take for their service connected disabilities. Jones v. Shinseki, 26 56 (2012).
Erectile dysfunction
Be the first to comment